Holy Door Sites and Corresponding Regions
The ritual opening of the Holy Door of Mercy in the Basilica of St. Peter, December 8, 2015, marks the official start of the Jubilee Year of Mercy. Pope Francis is asking that in every diocese and in churches and shrines designated by the diocesan bishop, there will also be a celebration of the rite of opening of the Holy Door in unity with the Universal Church so all can participate and obtain the indulgences promised in this Jubilee Year.
- Shrine of SS. Peter & Paul: Western Region
- St. John’s, Frederick: Central Region
- Shrine of St. Anthony, Ellicott City; South Central Region
- St. Mary’s, Annapolis; Anne Arundel Region
- St. Ignatius, Hickory; Harford Region
- Cathedral: West Baltimore Region and North Baltimore Region
- Basilica: East Baltimore and Baltimore City (Metro West & East, Hard West & East)
- National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton; no region assigned
Jesus said, “I am the door” (John 10:7), bringing to fruition the words of the Psalmist, who said, “This is the door of the Lord where the just may enter” (see Psalm 118:20).